We’re delighted you’re interested in applying to Commonwealth Academy. Our website provides valuable background information about C/A’s unique strengths as a school, but the best way to decide if it is the best match for your child is to talk to us and tour the school. Here are the typical steps in the admission process:
1. Contact Josh Gwilliam in the admission office at 703.548.6912 we will follow-up with you.
2. Submit educational test results. All applicants should submit the most recent standardized test results available (ERB’s, SOL’s, PSAT, SAT, etc.). If your student has been diagnosed with AD/HD and/or a learning disability, please submit all diagnostic testing as well. We may request additional testing if results are more than three years old. Educational test results are just the first step in ascertaining whether your student appears to be an appropriate candidate for admission.
3. Schedule a parent/guardian interview and tour. We will contact families of appropriate candidates to schedule a parent/guardian interview and tour. The interview will give you the chance to ask questions about the school, see the school in action, and give us time to learn more about your child.
4. Schedule a student interview and tour. The student interview and tour is an informal session to give your child a firsthand look at C/A and imagine what it would be like to be part of the community. We use this time to deepen our understanding of your child’s strengths and weaknesses, interests, and learning style.
5. Submit an application. C/A has a common application for all grades so some questions do not pertain to younger applicants. Simply complete everything that applies to you and your child, and submit the application with the $100 application fee. The application deadline is the last day of February for the upcoming academic year, unless openings are available in the current year.
6. Submit supporting material. Supporting materials include:
7. Shadow Day. The final step of the application process may include a shadow day for your child. Please contact the admission office for shadow day details.